How to Tackle Dust in Your House
The number one chore most people dread - dusting. Maintaining a dust-free home tends to be difficult, as it accumulates quickly. There are tips and tricks to help clean dust, as well as, prevent it from occurring as often. However, first understanding what causes dust helps you tackle this daunting task!
What is Dust?
There are many different causes of dust, which consists of pieces of solid matter. Pollen, dead skin, animal dander, etc. are all accumulated to form dust within your household. However, 60% of what causes dust comes from outside when you go in and out of your house.
Steps to Cleaning Dust
1. Start with the ceilings and other high places first. This allows excess dust to fall to the ground to clean later. Use a vacuum or duster to reach these places once a month to get rid of the accumulation.
2. Don't forget to wipe down your decor with a microfiber cloth as well. This includes fans, blinds, paintings, and other items that are on the walls. These collect dust over time as well, especially items that aren't handled on a regular basis.
3. When you are wiping down these areas, a dry microfiber cloth will pick up the dust. However, dampening the cloth with a natural cleaner will help to capture the dust and keep it from spreading further.
4. Tackling dust on your furniture and upholstery can be a bit more daunting, especially for your couches and other soft materials. Using a vacuum is a safer method when cleaning these areas, by using a soft bristle attachment brush. Additionally, this helps remove stubborn hair from couches and seats.
5. Wipe down wood surfaces with a polish, and make sure you do both the top and the bottom, including the legs of the chairs or tables you are wiping down.
6. Finally, clean your floors so they are dust-free! If you have hardwood floors, use a Swiffer or other dusting tool that will collect the dust, not just spread it around like a normal broom. On carpets, use a vacuum to clean the floors.
Prevention of Dust
The best prevention is being careful about what you drag in from outside. Keeping your windows and doors closed will prevent pollen and other airborne particles from floating into your home. Minimize the dust by taking your shoes off when you come inside, that way you aren't dragging anything through the house on the floors.
Consider investing in an air purifier. This will help clear out the air inside your home and eliminate dust caused by your skin, animals, and other particles flying around the environment.
Ultimately, maintenance is key for this type of household chore. Dusting and cleaning your home weekly will help to prevent dust from accumulating around the house. Consider hiring a weekly maid service to thoroughly clean your house, which includes dusting!
To help maintain a beautiful home, Eco-Friendly Maid Service is a GREEN cleaning alternative for residential & commercial spaces. Our goal is to offer our clients the best service possible while maintaining our core values: Health, Growth, & Sustainability. Having the peace of mind in a clean and healthy home, without the worry of harmful chemicals surrounding your loved ones, is priceless. Fortunately, our local green maid service provides both for a reasonable price and a great experience for you & your loved ones.